Improving Care for Orphans and Vulnerable Children and Families: Experiences from implementation in Kenya
This is a compilation of products created with support from the USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems project (ASSIST) in Kenya based on the experience of applying quality improvement methods to improve quality of services for orphans and vulnerable children. This project was implemented between 2013 to September 2017.
This compilation of products is intended for implementing partners (IPs) providing services and/or providing support to service providers of vulnerable children in Kenya. The documents within are intended to guide IPs in mainstreaming and improving quality of service delivery for orphans and vulnerable children. The experiences are drawn from implementations by local organizations including Community Based Organizations (CBOs), Faith Based Organizations (FBOs) and local NGOs. Included in this package are the following:
- Strengthening the Child Protection system: Linking National, County and Community. This document describes the process undertaken by the Department of Children’s Services (DCS) to reform the national child protection systems and service delivery within DCS. It can also be accessed here: https://www.usaidassist.org/resources/strengthening-child-protection-system-linking-national-county-and-community
- Change Package for Quality Improvement in Orphans and Vulnerable Children Programmes in Kenya. This change package describes the development and dissemination of the quality standards for vulnerable children in Kenya and the process of using QI methods at the point of service delivery to improve care for vulnerable children. This change package includes how-to guidance to improve care across all 8 service areas based on the experience of QI teams piloting the standards. The change package is also available here: https://www.usaidassist.org/sites/assist/files/change_package_for_qi_ovc_programs_kenya_sept13.pdf
- Minimum Service Standards for Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Kenya: Job Aid Booklet. This simple, illustrated job aid was designed for use by community volunteers providing services to vulnerable children. Aligned with the national minimum standards, this booklet is simplified for easy use at the local level in Kenya. The job aid can also be accessed here: https://www.usaidassist.org/sites/assist/files/kenya_ovc_standards_job_aid_sept13.pdf
- National Psychosocial Support Guidelines for Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Kenya. These guidelines were developed for use by front line child service providers to streamline psychosocial support services for children. The guidelines provide guidance for supporting caregivers, general guidance for children of all ages, and specific guidance by age range: 0-5, 6-13, and 14-18. An implementation framework is also included. https://www.usaidassist.org/resources/national-psychosocial-support-guid...
- Improving the Lives of Vulnerable Children in Kenya: Experiences from implementing quality service standards. This compilation of case studies highlights experiences, achievements, and personal stories from QI teams and IPs implementing QI to improve services for vulnerable children. It can also be accessed here: https://www.usaidassist.org/sites/assist/files/improving_lives_vulnerable_children_kenya_sept13.pdf
- Videos and blogs: Several videos and blogs further describing specific interventions and achievements are accessible online for further learning and inspiration:
- Care that counts video shows viewers community-based efforts to improve services for vulnerable children in Kenya: https://www.usaidassist.org/resources/care-counts-applying-quality-standards-ovc-services-kenya
- Video: Retooling Minds Dignifying Lives: Think One Egg per Child per Month: https://www.usaidassist.org/resources/retooling-minds-dignifying-lives-think-one-egg-child-month
- Video: The Watano Initiative: Quality Improvement for Productive Support Groups: https://www.usaidassist.org/resources/watano-initiative-quality-improvement-productive-support-groups
- Blog: Improving the nutrition of orphaned and vulnerable children in Kenya: https://www.usaidassist.org/blog/improving-nutrition-orphaned-and-vulnerable-children-kenya
- Blog: Engaging children to develop policy guidelines: https://www.usaidassist.org/blog/engaging-children-develop-policy-guidelines
- Blog: A brighter future for orphans and vulnerable children: https://www.usaidassist.org/blog/brighter-future-orphans-and-vulnerable-children
- Blog: A story of how community teams improved school attendance in Kapsoya, Kenya: https://www.usaidassist.org/blog/story-how-community-teams-improved-school-attendance-kapsoya-kenya