Responding to gender issues to improve outcomes in nutrition assessment, counseling, and support services
Nutrition assessment, counseling, and support (NACS) is an approach to integrate evidence-based nutrition interventions into health services, including the prevention, categorization, and treatment of malnutrition and sustained improved nutritional status. This technical brief describes gender issues in NACS services as well as suggestions for how to address them. Gender issues discussed include:
- Harmful social, cultural, and economic norms and practices related to nutrition and food security
- Unequal access to and utilization of nutrition assessment services
- Inappropriate or discriminatory nutrition counseling
- Issues impacting adherence to and retention in nutrition support services
- Unequal knowledge and skills to participate in food security or income-generating activities
Click here to read the report.